VW Campervan Insurance
Compare VW Campervan Insurance Quotes
- Quotes from UK insurance providers
- One short form – save time & money
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Over three million users
Join our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
You could save time and money
Get your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
It was time to renew my car insurance and having an email in from quotezone I thought why not give it a try and quotezone came up with the best price for my renewal. It was easy, quick and straightforward. Recommended.
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
I found Quotezone to offer a wide range of options and very informative, their site is easy to navigate. I saved just over £700.00 a year on my car insurance. extremely happy!
4.75/5 from 3125 customer reviews
VW Campervan Insurance
The VW camper in all its forms is a style and motoring classic. Whether you’ve modified your campervan over the years, or have tried to keep it as original as possible, it’s important to have the right kind of campervan insurance. For peace of mind, here’s what to consider when it comes to insuring a VW campervan.
What does VW campervan insurance cover?
In the UK, there are three levels of vehicle insurance. The level you choose determines what’s covered:
- Third-party only – these policies compensate other people for injuries or damage you cause but won’t cover the cost of repairing damage to your camper. This is the lowest level of cover you can have by law.
- Third-party, fire and theft – includes third-party only cover and will also compensate you if your camper is stolen or damaged by fire.
- Comprehensive – this is the highest level of cover available. Policies include third-party, fire and theft cover and will also pay to repair or replace your VW camper if it’s damaged in an accident.
What other features should I look for?
Insurers will also offer a number of other features. Some policies will include them as part of a package but if not, you’ll be able to add them on as optional extras for a small fee. Features typically include cover for:
- Accidental misfuelling
- European travel
- Windscreen and glass
- Legal expenses
- Personal possessions and camping equipment
What is an agreed value in VW camper insurance?
Agreed value is when you and your insurer decide the value of your VW camper. If you make a claim for theft or your camper is written off, you’ll be compensated with the agreed value rather than the market value (which could be a lot lower).
Not all insurers offer an agreed value, but it could be a good option to look for if you’ve spent considerable amounts of money or time modifying your VW.
Do I need VW camper insurance all year round?
Unless you have a statutory off-road notification (SORN), you must have VW campervan insurance. This is because of continuous insurance enforcement (CIE), which means all vehicles in the UK must be insured at all times.
A SORN is official documentation that confirms you’ve taken your car ‘off the road’. If you’re caught without appropriate insurance (and don’t have a SORN) you can be fined. You can also be given up to six penalty points and if your case goes to court, you could even end up losing your licence.
Can I buy short-term VW campervan insurance?
If you only use your camper now and again, you could buy short-term or temporary insurance instead of an annual policy.
Short-term cover is flexible and can last for 24 hours up to a few months so it can also work out cheaper. However, it’s worth knowing that annual cover is still typically cheaper per day. If you find yourself renewing a short-term policy on a fairly regular basis, it might be worth switching to an annual policy instead.
How much does VW camper insurance cost?
Cost really depends on your own circumstances. Insurers consider a whole range of factors to work out your premium, for example:
- Your age – premiums for younger drivers are much higher compared to other age groups. That’s because data shows under 25s are more likely to be involved in an accident.
- Security – you can save a few pounds by making sure your VW camper is as safe and secure as possible. If you can’t keep it parked in a garage or private driveway, think about investing in an alarm or immobiliser.
- Mileage – the more you use your VW, the greater the chances of being involved in an accident which can drive up your premium.
- Use – using your VW camper for business can increase your premium dramatically, especially if you also need goods in transit cover.
- Modifications – changes and upgrades can mean you pay more for cover as your camper will cost more to repair or replace.
How to save money on VW camper insurance
Insurance should give you peace of mind so always make sure you’re happy with the features included. It’s also worth remembering that cheap VW camper insurance doesn’t automatically mean it’s the best value if you have to add on lots of extras.
So, if you’re looking for ways to cut the cost of your VW campervan insurance, without cutting back on protection, here’s what you can do:
- Pay for your policy in one go.
- Add a more experienced, named driver to your policy.
- Increase your voluntary excess.
- Limit the number of miles you do.
- Only add extras if you really need them.