Cheap Public Liability Insurance
- One short form to complete
- Compare UK insurance providers
- Find a policy to suit your needs
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Norton securedOur quote form uses 128-bit SSL encryption for your peace of mind.
Over three million usersJoin our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
You could save time and moneyGet your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Independent and unbiased serviceWe aren't owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
Compare public liability insurance from UK public liability insurance providers
You may require PLI insurance if members of the public, customers or clients visit your premises.
How do I know if I need public liability insurance?
If you run your business from home, and clients come to visit you there, this type of insurance cover is also advised.
Public liability insurance could cover you financially (legal fees and expenses) if a person is accidentally injured on your premises. It can also cover you if you damage someone elses property while carrying out your work.
Public liability insurance comparison - How can I get quotes?
This is the most common insurance taken out by small businesses so you can find a competitive quote in the marketplace but, instead of approaching several different companies, Quotezone can help by matching you up with our panel of UK insurance providers who will get in touch with you to discuss your insurance needs.
It is important that insurance providers know exactly what kind of business you run so that they can provide you with a PLI insurance policy to suit your individual needs fill in one simple form on Quotezone and our panel of insurance providers will use your details to build a quotation for you. Try our system - over 2 million users in the UK have already used our system to compare insurance quotes.
Public Liability Insurance Guide
For most UK businesses, public liability insurance is an absolute must. PLI insurance could provide a business with financial protection in the event that a customer or other member of the public is injured or suffers some kind of loss that the business is responsible for. If such an event occurs, this insurance might cover the costs of compensation paid to the injured party, as well as any legal costs that are incurred by the business.
What Kinds of Businesses Need Public Liability Insurance?
Public liability insurance is typically not a legal requirement, but it’s still generally regarded as an important kind of cover for most businesses, and it’s insurance that a business can’t usually afford to cut corners on. In general, a business needs public liability insurance if they have premises that are visited by customers, clients, or members of the public; if employees work on or visit other business premises; if business-related activities occur in public places; or if the business gives advice for a fee.
In some industries, clients expect that the businesses they work with will have a specific minimum level of PLI insurance cover, and may avoid doing business with companies that don’t have that minimum level. For example, businesses that work in the public sector are often expected to have public liability insurance cover of £5 to £10 million, and government authorities generally expect that companies they do business with will have £10 million in public liability cover.
What does Public Liability Insurance Cover?
Standard public liability policies tend to provide coverage for events that occur in four main category types:
- Disrepair: Incidents that occur due to disrepair of business premises. For example, if a customer trips over a snagged carpet on the business premises, or falls down a flight of stairs when a stair rail breaks.
- Accidents: This category includes incidents such as purchased items breaking while in use, which could cause injury or damage in unpredictable ways.
- Slips and falls: For example, events that occur as a result of something spilt on the floor of a private or public business area, such as a slip, trip, or fall by a member of the public.
- Transport: Events relating to the use of a work vehicle.
The insurance could provide coverage for expenses a business occurs as a result of these kinds of events. Typical expenses may include:
- Compensation claims made by an injured customer or third party.
- Costs of repairing damage caused by the business.
- Costs of emergency transport and medical treatment for an injured third party, if the NHS pursues a claim relating to the same event.
- Legal expenses incurred by the business, and sometimes by the claimant.
Levels of Coverage
When an insurer assesses a business for public liability insurance, they usually assess what’s called the limit of indemnity. This is a measure of how much insurance a business needs, and how much the policy could pay out if a claim is made.
While there may be lots of different policy types available, many of which are specific to various businesses and industriesmost insurance companies may offer policies with set limits of indemnity of up to £1 million, £5 million, and £10 million.
Depending on the nature of a business, an owner may need additional kinds of coverage that may not be provided for in a standard public liability policy. For example, if the business is organising a special event, a short-term events insurance policy may be needed to provide liability insurance for the event itself, as well as to cover any problems that may occur for other reasons.
Another consideration is whether someone needs run-off cover. This kind of public liability insurance covers claims that are made up to five years after the actual event takes place. Run-off insurance is tailored towards businesses and individuals who have ceased trading, and could provide coverage for claims that are made after cessation of business.
Comparison of Public Liability Insurance Policies
The nature of this kind of insurance, where the basic terms of all policies are very similar, means it’s fairly easy to compare public liability insurance quotes. For the level of indemnity a business decides on, it could be straightforward to look at premium costs and excess amounts to decide which policy is more affordable.
However, if someone is making public liability insurance comparisons online, bear in mind that a general quote may not accurately reflect what each individual insurance provider could offer and a tailored quote based on industry and business practices might be more appropriate.
Minimising Premium Costs
The cost of public liability insurance usually depends on a number of things: the size of a business, the specific industry, and the level of risk that’s involved in doing business on a day-to-day basis. In terms of getting cost-effective coverage, it’s not so much about getting cheap public liability insurance as it is getting exactly what the business needs.
Depending on the nature of the business, it may be possible to minimise premium costs in certain ways. For example:
- Ensuring that all staff receive adequate training and are properly qualified for their work.
- Ensuring that business premises, tools, equipment, and vehicles are properly maintained.
- Developing a risk-management plan.
As with most other kinds of insurance, PLI insurance premium costs could be reduced if a company opts to pay a higher excess. However, it’s probably important to consider whether a business could afford to cover the cost of a higher excess if a claimable event does occur.
Much cheaper than other places. This is the second time that I have used them.
Peter Singleton, 06-03-2018
Quick and easy, no problems at all.
Francisco Alves, 06-02-2018
Fast. Efficient. And most of all the best value for the service provided. Thank you.
Public Liability Insurance Comparison
- Public Liability Insurance
- Beauty Public Liability Insurance
- Public Liability Insurance Plumber
- Land Owner Public Iiability Insurance
- Charity Public Liability Insurance
- Self Employed Public Liability Insurance
- Public Liability Artists Insurance
- Public Liability Bands Insurance
- Public Liability Musicians Insurance
- Public Liability Market Trader Insurance
- Public Liability Event Insurance
- Public Liability DJ Insurance
- Public Liability Insurance Charity
- Public Product Liability Insurance
- Sports Public Liability Insurance
- Cheap Public Liability Insurance
- Builders Public Liability Insurance
- Building Contractor Insurance
- Contractors Liability Insurance
- Developer Insurance
- Heating and Ventilation Contractor Insurance
- Jewellery Arts and Crafts Public Liability Insurance
- Plumbing Contractor Insurance
- Security Contractor Insurance
- Studio Public Liability Insurance
- Bouncy Castle Liability Insurance
- Business Liability Insurance
- Civil Liability Insurance
- Face Painting Insurance
- Tree Surgeon Insurance
- Cake Maker Insurance
- Pet Workers Liability Insurance
- Ironing Services Insurance
- Nanny Insurance
- Teaching Liability Insurance
- Videographer Liability Insurance