Classic Campervan Insurance
Compare Classic Campervan Insurance
- Quotes from UK insurance providers
- One short form – save time & money
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Over three million users
Join our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
You could save time and money
Get your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
It was time to renew my car insurance and having an email in from quotezone I thought why not give it a try and quotezone came up with the best price for my renewal. It was easy, quick and straightforward. Recommended.
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
I found Quotezone to offer a wide range of options and very informative, their site is easy to navigate. I saved just over £700.00 a year on my car insurance. extremely happy!
4.75/5 from 3125 customer reviews
Classic Campervan Insurance
Classic campervans are far more than just a means of transport, they’re a labour of love and one you’ll want to protect. For classic campervan insurance that gives you the peace of mind and confidence you need to enjoy your camper on the open road, here’s what to consider.
What is a classic campervan?
There’s no set definition of what a classic campervan is for insurance purposes and it’s likely to differ according to the insurer’s own guidelines. As a ballpark figure, any vehicle that’s at least 15 years old, is likely to be considered a classic.
In terms of tax and MOT exemption, classic vehicles must be at least 40 years old. You should also bear in mind, you’ll need to apply for tax exemption (rather than simply not pay it).
What does classic campervan insurance cover?
- Third-party only – compensates other people for injury or damage to their property but won’t cover the cost of damage to your campervan. This is the minimum you can have by law.
- Third-party, fire and theft – as well as third-party only cover, you’ll also be compensated if your classic camper is stolen or damaged by fire.
- Comprehensive – provides third-party, fire and theft and will also pay to repair or replace your campervan if it’s damaged or destroyed in an accident.
Policies can sometimes include a number of other features, either as standard or as an optional extra which you’ll need to pay for – for example:
- Personal belongings cover
- Windscreen cover
- Legal expenses cover
- European cover.
What exclusions are there?
Your classic campervan insurance policy won’t cover you for every incident – these are known as exclusions. Insurers are responsible for setting their own terms and exclusions will vary but generally speaking, you won’t be covered for wear and tear or depreciation.
Pest infestation is another very common exclusion, as is damage by pets. If you are taking a pet along for the ride, just remember that any damage it causes is unlikely to be covered.
Insurers won’t pay out if something happens because of negligence, for example if you left doors or windows open and items were stolen. Similarly, you probably won’t be covered if you left your keys in the ignition and someone stole your campervan.
What is an agreed value in classic campervan insurance?
An agreed value is when you and your insurer decide how much your campervan is worth. If your camper is stolen or written off, your insurer will then compensate you with the agreed value rather than the market value which could be far lower.
If you opt for a policy with an agreed value, you’ll need to provide your insurer with evidence of your campervan’s value. This could include photos, receipts for parts or labour. Some insurers will also ask for a valuation from a vehicle valuation expert.
Not every insurer offers an agreed value policy but if you’ve spent lots of money updating, modifying or restoring your vintage campervan, it could be well worth considering.
Is it cheaper to insure an old campervan?
What you pay will depend on several factors so price can vary considerably based on your circumstances. Factors that insurers will take into account, include:
- Your age – young drivers pay higher than average premiums as data shows they’re more likely to be involved in an accident.
- Your address – where you live can have a big impact on price. If you live in an area with a high crime rate or one that’s congested and built-up, premiums are likely to be high as there’s a greater chance of a claim.
- The policy you choose – adding on extras or opting for an agreed value policy can affect what you pay.
- Your driving history – penalty points on your licence can lead to an increase in your premium.
- Your claims history – if you made a claim in the last five years or so, this will be reflected in the price of your policy.
How can I save money on my classic camper insurance?
When you search for deals, it’s important to compare exactly what’s included in each policy. Cheap classic campervan insurance might appear great value but look closer. Cheaper policies might not give you the protection or level of cover you really need – especially if you’ve restored your camper.
Nevertheless, there are ways to lower insurance costs without compromising on protection, for example:
- Pay for your policy annually to avoid interest fees.
- Limit your mileage if you can.
- Increase your voluntary excess which will lower your overall premium, make sure its still affordable though as you’ll need to pay it before a claim can go ahead.
- Park your camper somewhere secure.
- Only buy what you need, even though it’s tempting to add on extras ‘just in case’ it can increase your premium considerably.