Insuring a French Bull Dog
Whilst the rumours around French bulldogs being a more expensive breed to insure are true, this doesn’t mean you need to be stuck with a high-figured quote.
Why are French bulldogs more expensive to insure?
French bulldogs can carry a hefty premium that averages around the £1000 mark. This is nearly double the average for other dog breed premiums in the UK. So why are French bulldogs notoriously expensive to insure?
Here are the common factors which impact the cost of French bulldog insurance.
- Health issues: French Bulldogs are prone to certain health problems, such as breathing difficulties, eye disorders, and skin allergies. These issues may require frequent visits to the veterinarian and potentially expensive treatments or surgeries. The higher likelihood of health complications increases the insurance risk, leading to higher premiums.
- Short lifespan: French Bulldogs have a relatively short average lifespan compared to some other dog breeds. Insurance companies consider shorter lifespans as a potential risk because they have less time to collect premiums while covering potential health issues or accidents.
- Popular breed: French Bulldogs are a highly sought-after breed, which means there is a higher demand for insurance coverage. The increased popularity can result in higher claim frequencies, as more dogs of this breed are insured. Insurance companies adjust premiums based on the frequency and cost of claims, leading to higher prices for French Bulldogs.
- High veterinary costs: Veterinary fees have been rising steadily in recent years. Since French Bulldogs are more prone to certain health conditions, their owners may encounter higher medical expenses. Insurance companies factor in the rising costs of veterinary care when determining premiums.
- Liability concerns: Some insurance policies include liability coverage in case your dog causes harm to others or damages property. French Bulldogs, like any dog breed, have the potential to cause accidents or injuries. Insurance companies may consider the breed’s physical characteristics, such as their strength and temperament, when determining liability coverage, which can affect the overall cost of insurance.
Whilst these factors are universally significant across providers it is important to note that every provider will have their own deals on offers. So comparing multiple quotes is always your best bet of finding cheaper insurance for your French bulldog.
How to get cheaper insurance for your French bulldog
If you’re looking to reduce the cost of insurance for your French Bulldog, there are several strategies you can consider. By following these steps, you may be able to find more affordable coverage without compromising on the well-being of your beloved pet. First and foremost, it’s crucial to compare insurance options from different providers. Request quotes from multiple companies that offer coverage for French Bulldogs. Take the time to carefully review each policy’s terms, coverage limits, deductibles, and premiums. This will help you identify the most cost-effective plan that suits your specific needs. Next, consider the coverage levels offered by insurance providers. Evaluate your dog’s requirements and your financial situation. Some policies offer different levels of coverage, ranging from accident-only to comprehensive plans. By selecting a plan that meets your dog’s essential needs while excluding unnecessary extras, you can help lower the premium. Increasing your deductible is another option to explore. The deductible is the amount you need to pay out of pocket before the insurance coverage kicks in. Opting for a higher deductible can help reduce the premium. However, ensure that you can comfortably afford the deductible amount in case you need to make a claim.
Maintaining your French Bulldog’s health can potentially impact insurance costs. Regular exercise, a balanced diet, and routine veterinary check-ups are essential for your dog’s well-being. Additionally, insurance providers may consider your dog’s overall health when determining premiums. By taking proactive measures to keep your French Bulldog healthy, you may be able to secure a lower insurance rate.
Training and socialization are vital aspects of responsible pet ownership. Properly training and socializing your French Bulldog can help prevent behavioural issues and minimize the likelihood of accidents or incidents. Some insurance providers offer discounts for dogs that have completed obedience training or behavioural classes, so investing time and effort into training can potentially lead to lower insurance premiums. Consider preventive measures to reduce risks associated with your French Bulldog. Installing safety features in your home, such as secure fencing or an alarm system, can help prevent your dog from escaping or causing accidents. Some insurance providers may offer discounts for taking such precautions, so it’s worth exploring these options.
Bundling your insurance policies is another avenue to explore. If you have other insurance policies, such as home or auto insurance, consider consolidating them with your pet insurance. Many insurance companies offer discounts when you have multiple policies with them, which can result in overall savings.
Lastly, research any available discounts. Contact insurance providers directly to inquire about special promotions or discounts. They may offer reduced rates for insuring multiple pets, being a member of specific organizations, or maintaining a good claims history. Take advantage of these opportunities to further reduce your insurance costs.
Remember to carefully review the terms and conditions of any insurance policy to ensure it meets your specific requirements. While seeking cheaper insurance, prioritize the health and well-being of your French Bulldog, as adequate coverage is essential for their protection and care.
If you’re ready to start comparing quotes for your French bull dog you can use our independent and non-biased comparison tool to easily find cheaper pet insurance quotes.
Sign up for more money saving tips
If you’d like more ideas on how you can save money on your insurance, sign up for our money saving tips now.
This article is intended as generic information only and is not intended to apply to anybody’s specific circumstances, demands or needs. The views expressed are not intended to provide any financial service or to give any recommendation or advice. Products and services are only mentioned for illustrative rather than promotional purposes.