Cheap Plumber Insurance
Who needs Plumber insurance?
As a busy plumber going from job to job, you probably don’t have a lot of time to think about admin, let alone sort out your tradesman insurance. But having the right cover can help you deal with problems quickly and effectively – here’s what to bear in mind.
Why do I need plumbers’ insurance?
Like other types of business and tradesman insurance, plumbers’ insurance is there to protect you from financial loss if something goes wrong – for example, if your tools were stolen from a locked van your insurer will cover the cost of replacing them. Without appropriate insurance, you’d have to pay for replacements yourself.
What does plumbers’ insurance cover?
Policies compensate you for a range of insured events – which include things like flood, fire, theft and vandalism. Specific features often vary according to the insurer so it’s crucial to check the terms and conditions of your policy.
In most cases, you’ll also be able to add on extra types of insurance to create a policy that meets your exact needs – options to look for include:
- Plumbers’ liability insurance – covers legal fees and compensation if a member of the public blames you for injury or damage to their property and takes you to court.
- Employers’ liability insurance – covers compensation costs if an employee becomes sick or has an accident while working for you. You need this by law if you employ anyone – even if they’re part time. If you need it but don’t have it, you could face a daily fine of £2,500.
- Tools and equipment insurance – covers the cost of replacing tools and items you use for work if they’re stolen or damaged, for example – pipe cutters, blow torches and ladders.
- Buildings and contents insurance – pays to repair, rebuild or replace your business premises if you have one, as well as office equipment.
- Legal expenses insurance – meets the cost of court and legal fees if you’re involved in a dispute.
- Contract works insurance – compensates you for work you have to re-do because it was damaged or destroyed by an insured event.
- Personal accident insurance – makes up for lost income if you’re injured through work. Policies can also compensate loved ones if an accident proves fatal.
What isn’t covered by plumber insurance?
Almost all types of insurance come with exclusions – these are events and incidents that aren’t covered. Again, these can vary by insurer so read the conditions set out in your policy. Some typical exclusions include:
- Wear and tear – insurers won’t compensate you for tools that need replacing because they’re old.
- Negligence – generally, insurers will expect you to take precautions to ensure your things are safe. If an insurer considers you’ve been negligent, they can refuse to pay out – for example if you left your van unlocked and your tools were stolen.
- Working abroad – policies may cover you for the odd job you do abroad but you’re unlikely to be covered if the majority of your work is done outside the UK. If you do spend a lot of time working abroad, you may need a separate policy.
What level of plumbers’ insurance do I need?
Providers set their own levels of cover with different limits for different types of insurance – for instance, tools insurance could be set at £10,000 while public liability cover often ranges between £1 million and £10 million.
If you’ve got the option of choosing the level of cover, think about the risks you face and what you might realistically need based on the projects you work on or the value of the tools and equipment you own. If you need employers’ liability cover, you must have a minimum of £5 million by law.
How much does insurance for plumbers cost?
Cost really depends on the policy you choose, but while it’s undoubtedly an important factor, it shouldn’t be the only consideration.
When you compare plumbers’ insurance, it’s wise to check exactly what’s included and the levels of cover offered. Cheap policies might look like a bargain, but if you have to add on lots of ‘optional extras’ to get the cover you need, you could end up paying more compared to a comprehensive policy that initially seemed expensive.
Search for the best plumber insurance UK
Searching for plumbers’ insurance that suits you is easy when you let us help you. At Quotezone.co.uk, we work with a range of trusted providers to ensure you get cover without compromise.
Our independent and unbiased service has already helped more than three million customers – so why not join them and find exactly what you need, right here – start your search now.