Cheap Carpenter Insurance
Who needs carpenter insurance?
Being your own boss comes with lots of advantages, but there are downsides too and it often means it’s up to you to sort out essentials like your tradesman insurance.
At Quotezone.co.uk, we understand that running your own small business doesn’t leave you with a lot of free time, which is why searching for cover with us is quick and simple – here’s what to consider.
Why do I need carpenters’ insurance?
Carpenters’ insurance can help compensate you if events don’t quite go to plan. Policies can cover stolen tools, damaged equipment and even pay for legal advice and court costs if someone decides to sue you. Without appropriate cover, you’d be expected to cover these expenses yourself.
What does carpenter insurance cover?
Policies combine a number of different types of insurance that cover you for a range of insured events – such as damage to property because of fire, flood or theft. You can also add on extra features to create a tailored package that gives your business the specific protection it needs.
Typical policies could include some or all of these types of insurance:
- Public liability insurance – pays legal fees and compensation if a member of the public blames you for injury or damage to their property. Insurers offer varying levels of cover – anything from £1 million to £10 million. To give you an idea of what you might need, think about the projects you work on and how often you come into contact with the public. After all, it only takes one person to trip over tools you’ve left lying around for a claim to be made. It’s also worth knowing that contractors working for local authorities are usually expected to have at least £5 million worth of cover.
- Employers’ liability insurance – covers compensation if someone you employ is injured or becomes sick because of work. You’ll need at least £5 million worth of cover by law if you have any employees – even if they only work part-time or are temporary. If you’re not covered, you could be fined £2,500 for each day you go without it.
- Tools and equipment insurance – compensates you for damaged or stolen tools and equipment. Policies that offer ‘new for old’ will replace tools with brand new items but they can be more expensive than policies that take into account any wear and tear.
- Personal accident insurance – compensates you for lost income and meets medical expenses if you have an accident and can’t work.
- Legal expenses – covers the cost of legal and court fees if you need to settle a dispute in court.
- Business buildings and contents insurance – covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your commercial premises as well as replacing any office contents if they’re damaged by an insured event.
- Contract works insurance – compensates you for any unfinished work that you need to repair because it’s been damaged – for instance if a fire destroyed a staircase you were working on.
How much does insurance for carpenters cost?
Cost comes down to the policy you choose as well as the levels of cover you need and while it can be tempting to opt for the cheapest policy, it might not represent best value in the long run as you might not have adequate levels of protection.
If you’re looking to cut the cost of your carpenters insurance without compromising on cover, try:
- Paying for your policy in one go – you’ll avoid interest and admin fees.
- Increasing your voluntary excess – this is the part of you pay towards a claim, increasing it can lower your overall premium but make sure it’s still affordable or your claim won’t proceed.
- Improving security where you can – for example keeping your tools locked away when not in use or ensuring your workshop is secure.
- Claiming only when you have to – lots of little claims can push up your premium when it comes to renewal so think carefully about what you claim for.
Compare insurance for carpenters
At Quotezone.co.uk, we make it easy to search for carpenters insurance that suits you – all you need to do, is tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll bring back quotes based on your needs. Our independent, unbiased service has helped more than three million happy customers – why not join them and find cover without compromise, right here.