Cheap Craftsman Insurance
Compare cheap craftsman trade insurance quotes with Quotezone.co.uk
Whether you’re a master crafter or craft on the side, insurance can provide a valuable safety net and the peace of mind you need if something doesn’t quite go to plan. But with so much on offer, it can be difficult to decide what’s right for you – here’s what to consider.
Who needs craftsman insurance?
If you make and sell crafts, jewellery or furniture, then craftsman insurance can compensate you if your tools or stock are damaged or stolen. Policies can also cover the cost of legal fees if you need to defend yourself in court. Without appropriate insurance, you’d have to meet all these expenses yourself.
If you’re a hobby crafter or craft part-time, it’s easy to assume that you won’t need insurance. But if you’re also selling your goods at local stalls or online, then it can be well worth considering – after all, all it takes is for a customer to trip or cut themselves on tools left next to your stand for a claim to be made.
What does crafter insurance cover?
Like other types of tradesman insurance, policies cover you for a range of different incidents known as insured events, these include things like fire, flood or theft. So, if for instance a fire destroyed your workshop, your insurance could help cover the cost of its rebuild and repair.
In most cases insurers will have a basic craftsman insurance package and give you the option of adding on extra features to create a policy that fits your needs exactly. Typical policies often include two or more of these types of insurance:
- Public liability insurance for crafters – pays legal fees and compensation if a member of the public blames you for injury or damage to their property and takes you to court. Levels of cover usually range from a minimum of £1 million to as much as £10 million so it’s down to you to assess what you might need. For instance, if you’re a furniture maker exhibiting and demonstrating your skills at fayres, you may need a high level of public liability cover because the risk of an accident is greater than if you were (for example) someone who made greetings cards from home.
- Employers’ liability insurance – you’ll need this by law if you employ anyone, even if they only work on a part-time or temporary basis. It covers the cost of compensation if an employee is injured or becomes ill because of work. If you need cover, you must have at least £5 million worth.
- Product liability insurance – covers claims for compensation if something you’ve made causes injury or damage to a customer.
- Stock insurance – covers the cost of your stock if it’s damaged, destroyed or stolen. Compensation is calculated using the stock price rather than retail price of your goods.
- Tools and equipment insurance – compensates you if your tools or equipment are damaged or stolen.
- Personal accident insurance – covers lost income and medical expenses if you have an accident and can’t work.
- Legal expenses – pays legal fees and court costs if you need to settle a dispute.
- Business buildings and contents insurance – if you have a workshop or showroom, this covers the cost of repairing, rebuilding or replacing your premises and contents if they’re damaged because of an insured event.
Do I need craftsman insurance by law?
The only type of business insurance you need by law, is employers’ liability which only applies if you have staff. That said, if your craft brings you into contact with the public – for instance if you teach, sell, or demonstrate your skills, then it’s strongly recommended that you have public liability insurance.
Similarly, while stock insurance is not something you need by law, it can prove invaluable if you work with expensive materials – for instance if you’re a jeweller or goldsmith and have a workshop or studio filled with expensive stock.
How much is craftsman insurance?
The cost of craftsman insurance varies considerably depending on the number of features your policy has and the levels of cover you choose. Premiums can also depend on the number of previous claims you’ve made which is why it’s always sensible to think carefully about what you claim for.
It’s also important to consider a policy based on its features rather than making a decision solely on price. Cheap craftsman insurance might fit your budget but if it fails to give you the cover you need, it’s a false economy in the long run.
Search insurance for craftsmen
At Quotezone.co.uk, we understand how important it is for you to find the protection you need at a price that’s fair and affordable. We also appreciate how valuable your time is which is why we’ve made it quick and easy to search for craftsman insurance quotes.
Just tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll find what you need from our panel of leading UK insurance providers – it’s as simple as that. So far, we’ve helped more than three million happy customers find cover they can rely on, why not join them and start your quote right now?