Login Menu

Someone hit my car, whose insurance do I call?



Got in an accident? Need advice on what to do now? No worries, we have you covered. Read our guide on who you should contact after a crash to make an insurance claim.

Someone hit my car, whose insurance do I call?

You should always call your own insurance as soon as possible and provide them with all the relevant details. They will then contact the other party’s insurance after you have made a claim and paid any excess.

  • Ensure you have the other party’s details such as ID, contact details, registration and photos of the incident.
  • Contact your insurance as soon as possible

Someone crashed into my parked car

Like with any other accident you should check if anyone is injured and get photos of the damage and exchange details. Inform your insurance as soon as possible and also notify police within 24 hours on 101. Unfortunately if your cover is only third party and you are unable to identify who hit you, the cost of repairs will likely not be covered by your insurer.

Someone hit my parked car and drove off?

If someone has hit your car and has simply driven off to avoid liability you can do the following steps.

  • Check for local CCTV footage of the incident
  • See if there are witnesses who can provide you with information and are willing to give a testimony
  • Get a quote for the damage
  • Evaluate if you want to claim through your insurance based on your quote

Having comprehensive insurance is the best way to protect against this scenario as if you are unable to determine who hit your car at least your insurance will cover the damage. You should always report these instances to the police on 101 even if you think the driver who carried out the damage will not be found.

Comparing quotes online is easy with Quotezone, find the right insurance for you today.

Cyclist hit my car?

You should always follow the same process as mentioned previously when involved in an accident. First check if the cyclist is alright or requires medical attention. Cyclists are not required by law to have insurance but if they do you should exchange details. If the cyclist is determined at fault their insurance will cover the costs. If they are uninsured then they themselves would be liable for the damages to your car. If the cyclist is uninsured and refuses to cooperate you can notify the police as well as pursue the damages owed through a court claim, ensure you have evidence and the cyclist’s details. If the cyclist is under 18 then request the details of their legal caregiver and proceed with your claim with them.

What about my premiums?

Unfortunately being involved in an accident regardless of whether or not you caused it will likely raise your premiums. A good way to reduce your risk profile is by being on a policy that provides the insurer with more information about your driving, some options include telematic and black-box insurance.

This article is intended as generic information only and is not intended to apply to anybody’s specific circumstances, demands or needs. The views expressed are not intended to provide any financial service or to give any recommendation or advice. Products and services are only mentioned for illustrative rather than promotional purposes.