Cheap Motorbike Courier Insurance
Motorbike Courier Insurance
Using your motorbike to deliver parcels and packages is a flexible way to earn a living but it’s crucial you have the right kind of cover for the work you do. For peace of mind and to ensure you get the help you need when you need it most, here’s what to consider.
What is motorbike courier insurance?
It’s a type of insurance aimed at covering the hazards you face as a motorbike courier. Policies take into account the increased risk of an accident happening because you’ll be on the road covering many miles and often working to a tight schedule.
Do I need courier motorbike insurance?
If you use your motorbike to deliver goods or food in exchange for payment, then yes – you’ll need motorbike courier insurance.
Standard motorbike insurance won’t give you the protection you need and will typically only cover you to use your bike for:
- Social, domestic, pleasure activities.
- Commuting to a single place of work.
Using your motorbike to deliver items falls outside of these uses so if you have an accident you won’t be covered – which means your insurer can refuse to pay out.
What does courier insurance for motorbikes include?
Motorbike courier insurance covers the cost of damage done to other people’s property in the event of an accident. Policies can also pay to repair or replace your motorbike depending on the level of cover you choose:
- Third party only – compensates other people for injury or damage to their property if you’re involved in an accident. This is the minimum amount of cover you can have by law but bear in mind that it won’t cover the cost of damage to your own motorbike.
- Third party, fire and theft – includes third party only cover and will also compensate you if your motorbike is stolen or damaged by fire.
- Comprehensive cover – provides third party, fire and theft cover and will also compensate you if your motorbike is damaged or destroyed (even if an accident was your fault).
In most cases, you’ll also be able to add on a host of other features to ensure your policy gives you the all-round protection you need – for example:
- Goods in Transit insurance – this can be an add-on or a standalone policy, and is designed to insure the goods you’re transporting. These policies typically compensate you for loss, theft or damage. Some motorbike courier policies will automatically include this but with others, you may need to add it on.
- Legal expenses insurance – pays for legal advice and covers court costs if you need to defend yourself or make a claim against someone else.
- Public liability insurance – compensates other people for any injury or damage you cause to them in relation to work. For example, if someone tripped over parcels you unloaded and broke their arm.
How much does motorbike courier insurance cost?
Cost for motorbike courier insurance varies considerably depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of motorbike you own – the more powerful or expensive your bike, the more you’re likely to pay.
- Your age and riding experience – if you’ve been riding your bike for years, your experience can attract a lower premium.
- Your claims history – a recent claim can push up premiums.
- Your location – you can expect to pay a higher premium if you live and work in a busy, urban area where there’s a greater risk of theft or having an accident.
When you compare motorbike courier insurance, it’s well worth looking at all the features included and not just the price. Cheaper policies might have numerous limits or exclusions, which are events that are not covered. On the other hand, policies that look expensive might include more features and have fewer conditions – making them better value overall.
Search for motorbike courier insurance
At Quotezone.co.uk, we work with a panel of trusted insurers, so you never have to compromise on choice or value.