Cheap Car Courier Insurance
Why should I compare Car Courier Insurance for my business?
If you’re a courier and use your car to deliver items, including food, then it’s crucial to have the right level of protection. Even if you have standard car insurance, driving without appropriate courier insurance could invalidate the policy you do have. To ensure you’ve got the cover you need, here’s what to consider.
What is courier car insurance?
It’s a type of insurance designed for drivers who use their cars to deliver items like parcels or takeaway food. Policies take into account the increased number of miles you’re likely to cover and the greater risk of an accident occurring because of this.
Do I need courier insurance for my car?
In short, yes. If you’re transporting goods that don’t belong to you and making multiple deliveries in exchange for payment, then you’ll need car courier insurance.
Without suitable insurance you’re unlikely to be compensated for any damage done to your car, other people’s property or theft of the goods you’re delivering.
It doesn’t matter whether you use your car to deliver goods on a full-time or part-time basis, you’ll still need courier cover to ensure you’re adequately protected.
What does courier insurance for cars include?
What’s included in your policy will depend on the terms set out by your insurer. Like other types of car or van insurance, you’ll be able to choose from three levels of cover:
- Third party only – compensates other people for injury or damage to their property because of an accident you’re involved in. It’s important to know that third party only doesn’t compensate you for damage to your own car or property.
- Third party, fire and theft – provides third party only cover and also compensates you if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.
- Comprehensive – this includes third party, fire and theft cover and will also pay to fix your car in the event of an accident, even if it’s your fault.
Policies can also include other features or come with the option of adding them on for a small cost – for example:
- Breakdown cover.
- Courtesy van.
- Personal possessions cover.
- Legal expenses.
Does courier car insurance cover the items I’m delivering?
If your courier car insurance includes carriage of goods for hire or reward, then the items you’re carrying should be insured according to the terms in your policy. If it doesn’t (or you’re not sure) it’s worth checking with your insurer as it’s something that can be easily added on.
Hire and reward insurance is a type of goods in transit policy that specifically covers the work you do as a courier making numerous deliveries. It compensates you for loss, theft or damage of goods while you’re out and about.
Bear in mind that it’s not quite the same as haulage insurance, which is aimed at long-distance lorry drivers, but it is easy to get the two confused so if in doubt, ask your insurer for advice.
How much is car courier insurance?
Premiums depend on a number of different factors, including:
- Your location – driving in busy, built up areas can increase premiums as insurers consider there to be a greater risk of an accident happening compared to quieter, rural areas.
- The types of goods you deliver – carrying high value items is likely to push up the cost of cover.
- The number of miles you do – covering more miles increases the chances of an accident, resulting in a higher premium.
- The type of car you drive – larger or more powerful cars typically cost more to insure because they can be expensive to repair or are considered desirable to thieves.
Cost will undoubtedly be an important part of the car courier insurance you choose but it’s crucial to consider the whole policy and not just the price.
Cheap policies might tick the box for affordability, but they may come with a number of limitations or exclusions (events that aren’t covered). It means you’ll need to add extra features to a basic policy in order to give yourself adequate protection – increasing the cost. On the other hand, pricier policies might already include everything you need and represent better value for money.
Compare car courier insurance
At Quotezone.co.uk, we make it easy to search for courier car insurance that suits you. There’s just one form to fill in and we’ll bring back quotes from our panel of trusted insurance providers. Start your quote today.