Get cheap travel insurance for South Africa now
Cheap Travel Insurance for South Africa
- Compare up to 30 providers
- Access Cashback & Rewards
- 97% of reviewers recommend us
Search and compare cheap quotes from up to 30 UK travel insurance providers, including
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Search up to 30 different travel insurance providers
Quotezone increases your chance of finding a great deal by searching the market for you.
Buy online or by phone
Purchase your travel policy quickly and easily, monthly and annual payment options available.
You could save time and money
Get your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Over three million users
Join our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
excellent service/well pleased/very satisfied
Best search site. Came up with the cheapest.
Stepney, United Kingdom
4.75/5 from 3016 customer reviews
South Africa Travel Insurance UK
South Africa is a captivating destination with a rich and diverse culture that is reflected in its 12 national languages, three capital cities, and the ethnicities of its people. This abundance also exists in South Africa’s natural wonders and animal populations.
So whether you’re exploring Kruger National Park, drinking in the vineyards at Stellenbosch, or visiting the southernmost point of Africa, you’re in for an incredible time.
And to avoid the fallout when things go wrong, you’ll want to protect your holiday with travel insurance for South Africa. This covers you from a mass of common travel issues like cancellations, lost luggage, and pickpocketing or bag snatching.
Cheap Travel Insurance for South Africa
With a mass of other travel costs to consider, it’s understandable that you want to find cheap travel insurance for South Africa. One of the most effective methods to keep costs down when you are looking for South Africa travel insurance UK coverage is to compare policies and choose a price that fits your needs and budget.
Is travel insurance for South Africa expensive?
Pinning down the exact price of travel insurance for South Africa is a difficult task because it varies depending on the details of your policy. However, insurers will set your premium based on the same key factors, and these can give you a better idea of your potential costs.
Factors insurers use to set the price of travel insurance for South Africa from UK:
- Your age – Younger travellers typically pay lower premiums due to having lower claim rates.
- Your health – Pre-existing health conditions can influence costs and you could need cover from specialist insurers who cover your condition.
- The trip length – Longer stays often result in higher insurance expenses.
- Your destination – If you are visiting other countries before or after South Africa, you could need additional insurance for these parts of your holiday too.
- Your valuables – Insuring high-value belongings can increase your overall expense.
- Your planned activities – Risky sports or activities may require additional coverage.
- The insurance type – Choices range from single trip insurance for short travels, annual policies covering multiple holidays a year, or backpacker insurance for longer journeys.
Do I need travel insurance for South Africa?
Travel insurance for South Africa is not essential under law, but it is highly recommended, and for good reason. Insurance protects you from accidents and problems that could lead to serious personal and financial difficulties if you don’t have insurance protection.
There is no healthcare agreement between the UK and South Africa, meaning any medical help you need will need to be paid for. So if you don’t have medical travel insurance for South Africa, this will have to come out of your own pocket. And these bills can add up quickly if you suffer an accident or injury.
Like any country, South Africa poses threats of pickpocketing, tourist scams and violent crime. But there are also issues with power shortages. And these can have knock-on effects on water supplies and communication services, even in tourist accommodation.
What is the best travel insurance for South Africa?
This is not a one size fits all kind of policy. The best travel insurance for South Africa for your trip will depend on the nature of your travels, your personal needs and how you plan to spend your holiday.
South Africa will be covered under Worldwide travel insurance, and your main options within this include:
- Single trip insurance – Ideal for a one-off holiday with pre-planned start and end dates.
- Annual multi-trip insurance – Great for frequent travellers, covering multiple trips a year under one policy.
- Backpacker insurance – Tailored for extended journeys spanning various countries.
These policies can be customised to add extra protection. Common travel insurance for South Africa add-ons include:
- Activity coverage – Extra protection for high-risk activities like trekking, water sports or safaris.
- Higher personal possession cover – If you want to cover an item that exceeds the standard coverage limits, you can choose higher ones.
- Gadget coverage – Safeguards valuable electronic devices from theft, loss, or damage.
What does travel insurance for South Africa cover?
South Africa travel insurance UK coverage includes a wide range of protection including:
1. Issues with travel plans
- Cancellation – Protects against losses if you cancel your trip for reasons covered in the policy.
- Curtailment – Covers expenses if you have to end your holiday prematurely due to covered reasons.
- Delayed baggage – Helps you get the essentials if your luggage is delayed beyond 12 hours.
- Missed departure – Assists with accommodation and travel costs due to missed departures.
- Delayed travel – Provides a sum for additional expenses you experience as a result of transport delays.
2. Cover for healthcare
- Medical expenses – Covers medical care and related treatments.
- Repatriation – Arranges your return to the UK for medical care or in the event of death.
- Hospital benefit – Offers a daily allowance during hospital stays.
- Personal accidents – Protects against severe injuries leading to death, limb loss, or disability.
3. Protection for finances and possessions
- Personal liability – Covers costs you are responsible for if you cause accidental injuries or death to others.
- Lost documents – Covers the expenses of replacing vital documents like your passport.
- Baggage loss – Protects against lost or stolen baggage.
- Theft – Financial assistance for stolen belongings while travelling.
- Property and money – Covers loss, theft, or damage to personal possessions within the scope of the policy limits.
What will travel insurance for South Africa not cover?
Travel insurance for South Africa has exclusions you need to be aware of when travelling, including:
- Travelling against government advice – Always check and follow the latest travel advice for visiting South Africa. If the advice is to not travel here, you are unlikely to find any insurance that will cover you.
- Intoxication – Accidents or injuries that happen under the influence of drugs or alcohol are typically not covered.
- High-risk activities – Some recreational activities or sports that put you at higher risk may require additional coverage.
- Unexpected events – Certain policies may not cover things like terrorism or natural events like heatwaves, or forest fires.
- Illegal actions – Claims arising from illegal activities won’t be covered by insurers.
- Undisclosed medical conditions – Disclose all existing medical conditions to ensure valid insurance coverage.
Do you need a visa to visit South Africa?
British passport holders won’t need a visa if you are visiting South Africa for under 90 days. However, your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the time of your arrival in the country.
It’s advisable to always check the up-to-date entry requirements for South Africa before you travel, especially if you are travelling with children, as they will have their own rules.
Finding the right travel insurance for South Africa for your needs and budget can be time-consuming. But at Quotezone.co.uk, we make it quick and easy to get quotes from 30 experienced UK travel insurance providers, so you can have peace of mind while exploring South Africa.