Get cheap travel insurance for Iceland now
Compare Travel Insurance for Iceland
- Compare up to 30 providers
- Access Cashback & Rewards
- 97% of reviewers recommend us
Search and compare cheap quotes from up to 30 UK travel insurance providers, including
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Search up to 30 different travel insurance providers
Quotezone increases your chance of finding a great deal by searching the market for you.
Buy online or by phone
Purchase your travel policy quickly and easily, monthly and annual payment options available.
You could save time and money
Get your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Over three million users
Join our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
I managed to get our home and contents insured instantly when I needed to do so on the 12th January, after moving to a new home. The service was first class, and easy to complete online.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
4.75/5 from 3112 customer reviews
Travel Insurance for Iceland from UK
Iceland’s natural beauty is not to be missed. It’s a country of stunning natural landscapes, from breathtaking glaciers to therapeutic thermal lagoons and the must see Northern Lights.
This unique landscape invites you to explore destinations like Thingvellir National Park through hiking expeditions and embark on unforgettable whale-watching boat tours from Reykjavik.
And for complete peace of mind and essential support during your travels, having the right travel insurance for Iceland is crucial.
Cheap Travel Insurance for Iceland
If you are looking for the cheapest travel insurance for Iceland an effective way to make sure that you are not paying more than necessary is to compare quotes from multiple insurers. At Quotezone.co.uk we are regulated by the FCA and give you personalised, unbiased quotes quickly.
How much is travel insurance for Iceland?
This will be different for each person, but if you want to find the best travel insurance for Iceland premium possible for you, it can help to know what insurers use to set their prices.
Insurers will set your premium based on these factors:
- Your destination within Iceland – Insurers factor in the risks associated with specific regions when setting premiums.
- Your age – Older travellers might face higher premiums due to a higher probability of claims.
- Your planned activities – Engaging in high-risk activities like mountaineering or driving snowmobiles might require additional coverage add-ons.
- Pre-existing medical conditions – Existing health conditions will impact insurance costs, sometimes requiring specialised coverage.
- Type of coverage – Your choice of policy will affect costs. Options include single trip, annual travel, or backpacker insurance.
Do I need travel insurance for Iceland?
While it’s not a legal requirement, travel insurance for Iceland is strongly recommended. Even the cheapest travel insurance for Iceland offers great value for the benefits and protection you receive.
Having travel insurance for Iceland trips gives you invaluable protection and support for:
- Medical care – After Brexit, access to Icelandic state-provided healthcare is no longer available for UK residents so it is even more essential to have insurance.
- Repatriation – Covering expenses for return journeys home due to medical treatment or in the case of your passing.
- Coverage for personal accidents – Offering financial assistance for severe injuries.
- Cancellations and curtailments – Safeguarding your invested money in case of trip disruptions or cancellations.
- Liability protection – Supporting you in the case of causing harm to others.
- Support for legal costs – Assisting with legal fees associated with damages to third parties.
- Protection for personal belongings – Covering loss or theft of personal items, documents and money within specific limits.
Is Iceland classed as Europe for travel insurance?
While Iceland is not a member of the European Union, it will be covered by travel insurance policies with European coverage. This is because it is part of the European Economic Area (EEA). This can give you more freedom to travel to multiple countries if you are using annual travel insurance or backpacker insurance policies.
What type of travel insurance do I need for Iceland?
Your main options for Iceland travel insurance will depend on how long and how often you plan to travel. Outside of these options, you will also be able to add extra levels of cover that can be personalised to your needs.
The main options for travel insurance for Iceland include:
- Single trip insurance – If your visit to Iceland is short-term, this type of policy could be more budget-friendly.
- Annual multi-trip insurance – If you are a frequent traveller, this policy will cover you for multiple holidays in a single year.
- Backpacker insurance – If you’re travelling through multiple countries over an extended period, backpacker insurance could be the most efficient policy.
Additional coverage options for travel insurance for Iceland can include:
- Coverage for pre-existing health conditions – Ensure your condition is sufficiently covered to avoid any compromises on healthcare while you’re away.
- Protection for baggage and personal possessions – Opt for increased coverage limits, especially when carrying high-value items such as precious jewellery or engagement rings.
- Activity coverage – Planning on adventurous activities like skiing, zip-lining, or trekking the Laugavegur Trail? You will need additional activity coverage.
- Unexpected events – This coverage anticipates and safeguards against disruptions caused by terrorist attacks, political protests, or natural disasters. Iceland has multiple active volcanoes, so this is an important consideration.
- Gadget insurance – If you’re working or engaging in photography during your travels, consider gadget insurance to safeguard various devices.
Does my EHIC or GHIC card cover Iceland?
Post-Brexit you will not be able to use your EHIC or GHIC card in Iceland. This means you will not have access to Iceland’s state-provided healthcare and it is more important than ever to buy travel insurance that has comprehensive medical coverage.
If you have an existing medical condition this will be particularly important to make sure you have coverage for your condition and do not have to compromise on your care when you travel in Iceland.
You can find specialist coverage for existing medical conditions. These can save you from significant financial costs that would otherwise need to be covered alone.
Does travel insurance cover volcanic eruptions?
Iceland has active volcanoes and volcanic activity is closely monitored here. Volcanic events have the potential to cause travel issues including hazards like poisonous gasses, flooding and landslides as well as delays and, cancellations.
Because this is such a changeable situation you should always stay updated with the latest foreign travel advice for Iceland. It’s important to never travel against government advice as travel insurance for Iceland from UK will not cover you.
Insurers will usually exclude natural disasters from their cover, especially in countries that are more likely to experience them. Check your policy for cover for volcanic ash or look for this cover as an add-on to your Iceland insurance policy.
What do I need to go to Iceland from the UK?
Iceland is part of the Schengen area and shares the EU visa rules that allow tourists to travel visa-free for up to 90 days within 180 days. However, additional entry checks for Iceland might also necessitate proof of return or onward travel and adequate funds for your stay.
When it comes to finding the right travel insurance for Iceland, Quotezone.co.uk simplifies the process. We let you compare over 30 UK travel insurers quickly, so you have the coverage you need for a safe and enjoyable trip.