Get cheap travel insurance for Portugal now
Cheap Travel Insurance for Portugal
- Compare up to 30 providers
- Access Cashback & Rewards
- 97% of reviewers recommend us
Search and compare cheap quotes from up to 30 UK travel insurance providers, including
Looking for cheaper insurance?
Search up to 30 different travel insurance providers
Quotezone increases your chance of finding a great deal by searching the market for you.
Buy online or by phone
Purchase your travel policy quickly and easily, monthly and annual payment options available.
You could save time and money
Get your quotes by filling in one simple form, compare prices, and start saving.
Over three million users
Join our ever-growing list of satisfied customers today.
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
I managed to get our home and contents insured instantly when I needed to do so on the 12th January, after moving to a new home. The service was first class, and easy to complete online.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
4.75/5 from 3112 customer reviews
Portugal Travel Insurance UK
Portugal is one of the UK’s favourite holiday destinations, and it’s easy to see why. You can explore historic castles, monasteries or the famous chapel of bones. Or relax in the sun on the gorgeous Algarve.
And although Portugal is only a small leap from home, things can go wrong anywhere. That’s where getting specialised travel insurance for Portugal can help. It offers you protection and support for common issues like cancellations, lost luggage and more.
Cheap Travel Insurance for Portugal
Portugal can be a budget-friendly holiday, especially for families. So it’s natural to want to keep costs down by finding the cheapest travel insurance for Portugal.
European travel insurance tends to be more affordable anyway. But if you compare quotes from multiple insurers you can have peace of mind that you are not paying more than necessary for the cover you need
How much is travel insurance for Portugal from UK?
The cost of your travel insurance for Portugal will be specific to you. But if you know what insurers use to set their premiums for travel insurance, this can give you an idea of what costs you will be looking at. These include:
- Your travel destination – If you are travelling beyond Portugal on the same trip you might need additional insurance coverage, especially if your destination is outside of Europe.
- Your age – Older age often correlates with higher premiums because of an increase in medical claims by older travellers.
- Planned activities – Participation in high-risk activities such as surfing, boating or parasailing usually needs additional coverage.
- Pre-existing medical conditions – Certain health issues might raise costs due to a higher chance of needing medical attention.
- Coverage type – Single trip, annual, or backpacker insurance is available at different costs.
- Policy enhancements – Additional coverage like increased personal possessions or activity cover often comes at an extra charge.
Do I need travel insurance for Portugal from UK?
This isn’t required by law, but travelling without it could leave you in serious personal and financial trouble if things go wrong and you have to cover the costs alone.
Pickpocketing is also an issue in Portugal, particularly on public transport and busy stations in large cities like Lisbon. Our research found Portugal at number seven on the list of the top pickpocketing destinations in Europe.
Advice from our experts:
“It is essential always to remain vigilant, leave valuables, like expensive jewellery, in a safe in the hotel and always travel with a secure cross-body bag with zips to secure phones and wallets or even a money belt.”- Greg Wilson, Founder and CEO or Quotezone.co.uk
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides up-to-date safety advice and warnings for UK travellers that can help you avoid some of the risks of travelling in Portugal. Always check these before you travel as if the FCDO advises against travelling to Portugal, travel insurance will no longer cover you.
Is travel insurance worth it for Portugal?
Without travel insurance for Portugal, you could be left personally responsible for accidents. This might result in relatively minor expenses like replacing a stolen phone or passport. But they can be much more extreme too if you need medical care, legal fees or if you become liable for damage to others.
A Portugal travel insurance UK policy is a wise investment that can protect you from a wide range of unexpected circumstances, such as:
- Medical care – Covers non-emergency or private treatments that are not included in your EHIC or GHIC card coverage.
- Repatriation – Covers the expense of your return to the UK for medical treatment or in case of death.
- Personal accident cover – Assists you financially if you experience severe injuries or permanent disabilities.
- Trip curtailment and cancellation – Protects any financial investments you’ve made in your booking if they are cancelled or interrupted.
- Liability protection – Covers any injuries or damage to others that you are liable for.
- Personal belongings coverage – Safeguards any lost from stolen or misplaced possessions including your passport or other essential documents.
What is the best travel insurance for Portugal?
This will depend on what you plan to do, and your personal or medical needs. Portugal is covered by European travel insurance and this is sold as three main policy options:
- Single trip insurance – Immediate protection for short holidays.
- Annual multi-trip insurance – A cost-effective policy for frequent travellers, covering multiple trips in one year.
- Backpacker insurance – Covers extended travel across multiple European countries.
Additional coverage options commonly added to travel insurance for Portugal are:
- Activity coverage – Essential for high-risk activities like water sports, rock climbing or sky diving as these will not be covered by standard insurance.
- Luggage and personal possessions – Opt for higher limits of cover for valuable items like jewellery or watches.
- Cruise protection – Covers missed departures, schedule changes, and trip interruptions if you are visiting Portugal during a cruise.
- Gadget cover – Protects smartphones, laptops, or cameras from theft, loss, or damage while travelling.
Are EHIC or GHIC cards still valid in Portugal?
Yes, EHIC and GHIC cards still offer medical coverage in Portugal. However, these cards only provide limited coverage and don’t include private hospital treatments or non-emergency care expenses.
This is why comprehensive travel insurance is vital. Travel insurance for Portugal covers medical care as well as reasonable accommodation, and travel expenses you incur as a result of your accidents or illness. It also ensures you can return to the UK for further medical treatments.
Travel insurance for Portugal from UK is especially crucial for travellers with pre-existing medical conditions as you may be more likely to need care while abroad. And medical costs can soon add up if you are paying for them out of pocket.
Get travel insurance for Portugal that covers your needs and budget by comparing quotes from 30 experienced UK travel insurance providers in minutes with Quotezone.co.uk. Your Portuguese adventure deserves the protection and peace of mind that only the right travel insurance can provide.