Cheap Bike Courier Insurance
Why compare bike courier insurance prices?
It’s often far easier to get around on two wheels compared to four – especially in busy, built-up areas. But if you’re working as a bicycle courier then it’s important to make sure you’re covered for the work you do. Without an appropriate policy, you could end up with hefty repair bills if your bike’s damaged in an accident. Here’s what you need to know about bike courier insurance.
What is bike courier insurance?
It’s a specific type of insurance that covers the hazards you face as a bicycle courier. Policies consider the fact that there’s a greater risk of an accident occurring because you’re delivering items to a strict timetable and covering more miles than someone cycling for pleasure.
Can I take out standard bicycle insurance?
No, if you’re using your bicycle to deliver goods or takeaway food, then you’ll need bicycle delivery insurance instead of regular, run-of-the-mill bicycle insurance. A policy that doesn’t cover your couriering activities is invalid which means if you do have an accident, your insurer can refuse to pay out.
Without the right insurance, you could end up paying for bike repairs yourself. But in extreme cases, you could find yourself responsible for paying compensation claims or court costs if you cause injury or damage to someone else or their property.
What does courier bicycle insurance cover?
Policies vary depending on the insurer’s own terms and conditions so it’s crucial to be aware of what is and isn’t covered. In most cases, bicycle insurance combines a number of different types of cover that offer protection for a range of events. For example, policies can include:
- Theft and accidental damage cover.
- Legal expenses cover which pays for professional advice if you need to defend yourself or if you want to make a claim against someone else.
- Public liability cover to pay compensation claims if someone blames you for injury or damage to their property.
- Hire and reward cover which is a type of goods in transit insurance. It covers the items you’re carrying and can compensate you if they’re damaged or stolen.
If a particular feature you need isn’t included as standard, you’ll usually be able to add it on – just ask your insurer.
How much is bicycle delivery insurance?
Prices will depend on the policy you choose and whether or not you decide to add on any extra features. Insurers are also likely to consider your own unique circumstances including:
- The type of bicycle you have – newer or more expensive bikes are likely to cost more to insure as they’ll be a greater target to thieves.
- The items you’re delivering – if you’re couriering high value items, it’s likely to be reflected in your premium.
- Where you keep your bike at night – keeping it safe indoors or in a locked garage can help lower your insurance as it’s less likely to be stolen.
- Where you live – the busier or more congested the area you live and work is, the more you can expect to pay as you’re (potentially) at greater risk of having an accident.
If you’re working as a bike courier as a stopgap or as a second job, it’s tempting to go without cover – after all, it means you’ll save some money. But remember – if you have an accident, you’ll be held responsible for any damage done to your own bike as well as damage to other people’s property.
So, while bicycle insurance might feel like an unnecessary upfront expense, it’s vital to seriously consider the consequences of not having adequate cover.
Search for bike courier insurance
At Quotezone.co.uk, we work with a panel of trusted courier insurers so you can be confident about getting great choice as well as value for money. To start your quote, simply tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll do all the searching for you.