Cheap Household Insurance
Household Insurance - Compare Cheap Quotes
Your house, apartment or flat is probably going to be one of the biggest financial investments you’ll ever make, and unless you’re purchasing a buy-to-let property it’s also going to be the place you call home, so it stands to reason that you’re going to want to protect your house (and everyone in your household) with the best home insurance policy you can find.
Still, just because household insurance is important doesn’t mean you should pay over the odds for it - which is where we come in.
Whether you’re looking for cheap contents insurance or a comprehensive building and contents insurance policy that protects everything and everyone in your household, Quotezone.co.uk’s home insurance comparison service can help you find home insurance offers and discounts by comparing policies from up to 50 different providers in a matter of minutes.
Compare household insurance quotes now
Does household insurance protect everyone in my household?
Yes, provided your household insurance includes contents cover the belongings owned by each member of your household should be covered by this policy.
However, there are two caveats to bear in mind here:
- When you’re signing up for a new household insurance policy you’ll usually be asked to estimate the combined value of all of the property’s contents, and this will be the maximum amount you’ll be able to claim under the contents insurance element of your policy. That’s why it’s vital that you calculate this figure as accurately as possible, because otherwise your household insurance might not cover everything.
- In addition to a maximum claim amount, many household insurance policies will also impose a ‘single item limit’ on contents and personal possessions, which is the maximum amount you’d be able to claim for any single item. If the members of your household have belongings that are worth more than this limit you should itemise and value each of those items individually and by name, which means they should then be fully covered.
What does household insurance protect me and my family against?
While policy features and exclusions do vary from one provider to the next, most household insurance policies offer policyholders protection against the financial impact of all or most of the following insurable events:
- Storm damage and flood damage - both to the building and to the contents of that building
- Damage caused by fire, lightning, earthquake or explosion (although terrorist attacks might be excluded)
- Subsidence, landslip, or heave (provided the property doesn’t have a history of subsidence)
- Malicious damage, including damage caused by burglars
- Leaking water tanks and pipes (known as ‘escape of water’)
- Oil leaks from heating systems
- Damage caused by falling trees.
However, it’s worth pointing out that general wear and tear is usually excluded, and damage that has arisen due to poor upkeep or poor workmanship also won’t be covered in most cases.
How do I go about finding cheap house hold insurance?
First and foremost, you should shop around by comparing quotes from a wide range of providers, because the renewal quote you receive from your existing provider is rarely the cheapest household insurance quote you’ll be able to find.
You stand a far better chance of finding cheaper household insurance if you compare policies from a wide range of providers, and luckily we’re here to help you with that.
Secondly, it might be worth installing additional security features such as burglar alarms or insurer-approved locks, because this can sometimes help to lower your premium a little.