Additional Driver Insurance
Car Insurance with Additional Drivers
- Compare 110+ providers & save up to £504*
- Access Cashback & Rewards
- 97% of reviewers recommend us
Don’t have your registration number? No problem, click here.
Compare cheap car insurance quotes from over 110 UK providers, including
Looking to insure a car for less?
Compare quotes from over 110 car insurance companies
Our car insurance comparison services increases your chance of finding a great deal by comparing 110+ quotes side-by-side.
Buy your car insurance online or over the phone
Sign up online or over the phone, and choose from monthly or annual payment options.
Save on your insurance
One short form is all it takes to compare cheap car insurance policies from over 100 insurance providers.
Over three million users
Over 3 million people save money with us each year.
Secure & Encrypted
We guarantee your confidence when shopping online by following the latest internet security standards.
Independent and unbiased service
We aren’t owned by or have any investment from any insurance company.
What people have to say about us
Great company and service easy and efficient to deal with
Very good service
4.95/5 from 19 customer reviews
Additional Driver Car Insurance
Depending on your situation, there can be several benefits to having additional named drivers on your car insurance policy. These are some of the main advantages of this insurance:
- Having additional driver insurance makes it possible for a household to share a car.
- It is convenient when you are ill or can’t drive. Then a named driver can take over the driving responsibilities.
- Additional driver car insurance helps young or inexperienced drivers to get experience and build a good driving record.
- You may reduce your premiums by adding a driver with a long, good driving record to your policy. This can result in cheaper car insurance.
- Having an additional driver on your car insurance means you have options if you have an emergency and someone else needs to drive your car.
The benefits will vary from person to person. Driving records and insurance company policies will also have an influence.
What is additional driver insurance?
Additional driver insurance is a car insurance policy that provides coverage for additional drivers in addition to the main driver. This makes it legal for those listed to drive the car and be covered by the same policy. Here are a few points to consider when taking out additional driver insurance:
- With an additional driver policy, the main policyholder (known as the proposer) is the person who owns the car and is the primary driver.
- Additional drivers known as named drivers are legally allowed to drive the car. These drivers can be family members, friends or anyone else who needs to drive the car.
- Terms will vary depending on the insurer. Some charge an additional premium per added driver, and others allow a certain number of additional drivers at no extra cost.
- Some have an ‘any driver’ policy which covers any licensed driver that meets age and other criteria thresholds, while others need the additional drivers to be listed by name.
- Remember to always provide accurate information when adding drivers.
How do I add an additional driver to my car insurance?
Additional drivers can typically be added at the time of taking out the cover, if a policy is already in place you can get in touch with your insurance provider. You can normally do this by email or phone. Some insurers also have contact forms on their websites. You should have the following information about the additional driver:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Address (if different from the insured address)
- Driving licence number
- Driving history (accidents, convictions, claims, etc.)
Following this you will want to:
- Complete any necessary forms.
- Carefully review the updated policy.
- Pay any additional premium.
- Let the added driver know they have been added.
Does additional driver car insurance cost more or less than a single driver policy?
The cost of either policy is dependent on many different factors that could make either one cheaper than the other. Some of these factors include:
- The age of the drivers: younger, inexperienced drivers can expect to pay higher premiums due to being a higher risk.
- The driver’s driving records: A driving history with no accidents or traffic violations will attract lower premiums.
- The type of car: expensive cars or those with powerful engines will often cost more to insure.
- The policy type: adding a driver to a basic third-party policy will cost less than adding one to a comprehensive policy.
- The number of additional drivers: adding several drivers will cost more than adding just one.
When adding drivers always get quotes from multiple insurers and review them carefully to find out what the best options are for you.
Why is car insurance for multiple drivers sometimes cheaper than a policy for one person?
Sometimes car insurance for additional drivers is cheaper because certain situations result in lower costs, such as:
- Shared driving: Car insurance with additional drivers listed could indicate that the drivers would be sharing the driving responsibility. Thereby reducing the risks associated with one driver driving for longer periods.
- Additional drivers are low-risk: When the added drivers are older, experienced drivers with good driving records and are considered low-risk, this can result in a lower overall risk that results in lower premiums.
- Limited usage: when the added drivers are listed as occasional drivers, the insurer may consider the car to be a lower insurance risk.
- Policy Types: The type of policy you choose can also impact the cost. A comprehensive policy, which offers the most coverage, might not be significantly more expensive when adding extra drivers compared to a basic third-party policy.
- Bundled Coverage: Some insurers offer bundled coverage options that include not only car insurance but also other types of insurance, such as home insurance. These bundled policies can provide cost savings.
Sometimes an additional driver on your car insurance can result in a lower overall premium. However, this is not always the case, the actual cost will depend on the particular circumstances and the insurer’s policies.
How much does it cost to add an additional driver to car insurance?
The cost of adding a driver to your car insurance policy can vary depending on many factors. Some of these factors include:
- The age and experience of the driver
- Their driving history
- Policy type and terms of coverage
- The number of additional drivers added
- The type of car being insured
To get an indication of the cost to add an additional driver to your car insurance you can use a comparison website or request quotes from different insurers.
Should I remove an additional driver from my car insurance policy if they don’t use it?
If an added driver is no longer driving the car, they should be removed from your multiple driver’s car insurance policy as soon as possible. Removing them can reduce your insurance premium and protect your claims history or no-claims bonus.
If the driver’s history includes traffic violations or accidents, removing them will reduce the risk and premium cost. Removing added drivers keeps your policy up-to-date and accurate which can avoid complications in the event of a claim.
If you need to remove a driver from your car insurance for multiple drivers, contact your insurer and let them know you need to remove a driver from your policy. You may need to complete some forms to remove an added driver.
What levels of insurance coverage are available for additional driver insurance?
The levels of coverage available for additional drivers insurance are the same as primary car insurance. The main types are:
- Third-party-only, also called TPO, is the cheapest.
- Third-party, fire and theft also called TPFT.
- Comprehensive, often called fully comprehensive, is the most expensive.
Normally when you add an additional driver on your car insurance policy, you can choose from these levels of coverage. Remember the level of cover you choose will have an impact on the cost of the insurance premium so keep your needs and budget in mind when choosing insurance cover levels. If you are looking for cheap car insurance, Quotezone can help. We compare over 110 UK-based insurance providers so you don’t have to, quickly compare multiple car insurance quotes and save up to £504 on your premiums.
*51% of consumers could save £504.25 on their Car Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next five cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from September 2023 data. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances and how you selected your current insurance supplier.